Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Master of Disguise


Halloween has always been a favorite holiday of mine. I think the combination of getting free candy and dressing up to be someone else has always appealed to me. As a kid, the candy part was definitely my favorite. I don't think I realized just how much I liked being someone or something besides myself.

You see, as was the case with most things in our childhood, we didn't do Halloween the way most kids did. When we were younger, we would go trick-or-treating with our church group around the neighborhood near the church. But as we got a little older, we were driven to houses by our mom. However, we didn't actually get to go out until after the normal posted trick-or-treating hours because we had to do our nightly chores first. After we did our chores, we would rush to the house and quickly change into costumes, usually the same costumes as the previous year, and then go around to the houses of family and friends to get our candy. The next day, we would go to school thinking we had gotten a lot of candy only to realize that nearly every other kid received twice as much as we did - which made us feel like losers.

My whole childhood I just wanted to feel like I was normal and like I was doing things other kids were doing. Halloween seemed like the perfect opportunity to disguise myself and fit in - even if just for a night. Instead, it simply highlighted how different I was - and not in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finally Starting Life

I will always remember the day my life truly began ― a couple of months before I turned 15. It was Friday, March 20, 1998. I was a freshman ...